And speaking of Sodagreen…

Their second album, “Little Universe (小宇宙),” goes on sale on the mainland soon, with preorders already starting. The band has been nominated for a slew of awards in the last year and a half, and it picked up a few of them, including a “Best Lyrics” award for the standout track “Little Love Song (小情歌).”

Naturally, the article notes, it is impossible for a Taiwanese band to come onto the Mandopop scene and not be compared with Mayday. Personally, I think this is a good thing – more bands in the world of Mandarin lanaguage music can’t be bad (and I know there are plenty to be had on the underground circuit, but surely some of these must eventually break through to more popular recognition). This “number one heavenly band” business is all well and good, but there needs to be a bit more out there to compare Mayday with – let them really earn some of those music awards. There could be other benefits; up-and-coming acts like Sodagreen might even force the Shin Band to write all their own music to stay in the game. All good things.

Aside from generic comparisons, the article notes that in the area of lyrics, in particular, Qingfeng of Sodagreen has the potential to surpass expert lyricist Ashin. Though he has only two albums and a few singles under his belt, Qingfeng does have a degree in Chinese (from Cheng-da, as I noted yesterday). Meanwhile, the lyrics on Mayday’s last album left some of us a bit wanting.

I’ll have to go and read Qingfeng’s efforts to experience this advertised genius, but here’s a preliminary swipe at the award-winning lyric:

小情歌 Little Love Song
Words and Music by Qingfeng

This is a simple little love song
Singing the complications of people’s hearts
I think I’m happy, when I had your warmth
The air by my feet turned

This is a simple little love song
Singing of the white doves in our hearts
I think I’m suited to singing odes
Youth flutters in the wind

You know, even if floods overtake this city
I’ll give you my embrace
I can’t stand it, seeing the form of your back
I record the unending misery of
leaving

Even if the entire world is held ransom by loneliness
I still can’t run away
I can’t escape, in the end everyone grows old
I record how for me, time and music intersected at the wrong castle

Beautiful, though I suspect those “white doves” have hidden depths that I have not yet bothered to seek out. The article notes that the androgynous Qingfeng has broad appeal in China (not unlike the equally hermaphroditic but spectacularly less talented Li Yuchun), and nowhere does he display that quality more than in singing “Little Love Song.”

This entry was posted in Sodagreen. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to And speaking of Sodagreen…

1. coldtuna says:

hey there!
    I’ve been a regular visitor to your site ever since i stumbled upon it at Wiki.
    Thanks so much for all the translations and informations about Mayday and other artistes. I really appreciate all your translated articles of Mayday and other artistes cause it really makes it so much easier to read them in English.

About SodaGreen, you have sparked an interest in me. Is there anywhere I can get previews of their music online? About the underground bands in Taiwan, I agree with you that surely SodaGreen has to be somewhat popular to eventually break into the music market.

Speaking of Mayday, the latest album is fabulous! hee. Oh yeah, I’ve been looking for this Soundtrack that released by Mayday from the Movie, Love of May ( wu yue zhi lian ). Do you know where I can get them?

Many apologies for the numerous questions.
    Just want to add that, I really admire you for passion in this whole obssession with Mayday and the Chinese Language. It really encouraged me to improve my Mandarin, cause it would be so troublesome if I cant even handle my own mother tongue which is Mandarin.

Thanks so much!

All the way from Singapore,
    coldtuna :)

2. Steve says:

Weird voice, but oh! my! they are good!

3. hiakhiak says:

I can’t stop listening to 小情歌, even if I couldn’t really get used to Qingfeng’s vocals. I just want to thank you, for providing such detailed work – I could literally smell the hard work. 😀

Hello coldtuna, I saw it at Sembawang Music Centre not long ago. Perhaps you could check it out?

All the way from Singapore (too),
    hiakhiak

4. Merry says:

For online listening, I go two places: YouTube and mp3.baidu.com. You can search “Sodagreen” in English on the former and Chinese on the latter (even if you can’t type Chinese, you can copy the characters from the posts); the fourth button from the left on the Baidu search results lets you “试听” – listen to a bit online. I mostly buy from YesAsia.com, because there aren’t music stores where I live that carry Asian music other than the 12 Girls Band.

Qingfeng’s voice definitely takes some getting used to… but it then becomes oddly addictive!

5. coldtuna says:

Hey Merry, Thank you so much for all the information! You surely encouraged me so much to improve my native tongue. So inspired by you!hehe. SodaGreen is a unique band line-up cause not only Ching Feng’s cool and his vocals are soothing, their bassist is female! I admire girls who are able to handle the instrument, since I am struggling with it when I was jamming with some friends. Oh by the way, you could have guess that I’m a girl too. :)

hey hiakhaik, thanks for that information too! did you see both the first and second album? If you did, that will be great cause I’m gonna be buying both! I’ll go check it out sometime. appreciate that alot. :)

thanks so much again.

6. Steve says:

Still listening to “Little Love Song” regularly. Repetition aside, it is truly one of the great ballads of the early 1970s. (As you know from my “Meet the (New) Beatles” essay, I consider Wang Guangliang’s “The Place I Want to Go” one of them, too.)

7. Son Keyworth says:

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and come with almost all significant infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this.

8. I think this website contains some very great info for everyone. “Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that’s no reason not to give it.” by Agatha Christie.

9. Thank you, I have recently been looking for information approximately this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I have found out so far. However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the source?

10. ogłoszenia says:

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this web site needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably be returning to see more, thanks for the advice!

11. Cavin says:

Your blog has dependably pulled in me and this specific post left me astounded. It is one of the best bits of composing I have seen. Great job.