Fashion Forward

Okay, now that I’ve complained about the outcome and commented on the structure, it’s time for the other Golden Melody Awards stories.

Qingfeng sparked an odd controversy the night of the awards – when famed Taiwan songwriter Lo Ta-yu (羅大佑) was reading off the winner of the Best Band Award, he accidentally read it from right to left, as “Lv-da-su (綠打蘇)” before self-correcting and saying “Su-da-lv” (i.e. sodagreen). He admitted later that he is not at all familiar with the band, but it was just one of those dumb mistakes. The problem was then that the camera went to the band, and the report was that Qingfeng had a disgruntled expression on his face. As the band took the stage to accept the award, he stood to the side with his hands in his pockets not saying much.

So, what’s the deal? Artistic temperament? Frustration over the way the awards were going? (Yeah, if it was the latter, frankly I wouldn’t blame him; I was typing my post on the awards while I was waiting for the last of the results, and I was getting increasingly irritated as I wrote.) In fact, he explained online later that night, he’d had a headache all day, and he was just in pain. He and the rest of the band talked quite pleasantly to Lo Ta-yu backstage, and he said that he has no expectation that everyone in Taiwan would be familiar with their name – even people in the industry. Adding to the claim that he was unwell, not pouting, is this picture from the red carpet before the awards started:

sodagreen at GMA

He’s already not looking like a happy camper there, in spite of the Smurf-blue shoes (which I can only imagine usually would brighten one’s day). They look good otherwise – I like Xinyi’s dress – and Jiakai is sporting some very fancy pants. Shiny = festive. (I skipped over A-gong’s shorts and athletic socks. Seemed wiser.)

Moving on. The worst dress of the night goes almost uncontested to Jolin Tsai, who looks like she made her dress at home but put together the pattern wrong. The ruffles should be around the hem, dearheart, not attacking from the front. That’s “almost uncontested” because A-mei gave her a run for her money by showing up in a tent. It’s a beaded designer tent, but a tent nonetheless.

Moving back to the men, here’s a picture of Gary Cao in his red carpet finery:

70s Gary

Hmm, that look seems awfully familiar to me. Where have I seen it before? Oh, I know, in old photos of my dad:

dear old dad

The resemblance is uncanny! I admit, I’m a little surprised that Gary decided to dress up as my dad circa 1973 for the Golden Melody Awards, but I will say that he got the hair color dead on. He went rather bold with the lace patterned coat though; here Dad sticks with the far more classic powder blue. Either way, it’s still a strong statement. Who do you think wears it better?

This entry was posted in Mandopop, Sodagreen. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Fashion Forward

1. y says:

gary looks way much better in singlet and jeans. :p

2. midori says:

I’m really baffled by why Jolin would want to show up to an awards show like that.. I bet she was drunk….hm.

yah..that must be it..

3. hobielover says:

Someone described Jolin’s outfit as a sanitary napkin, and I’m pretty sure that’s about right. Whew, there were a bunch of fashion don’ts at this year’s GMA! Well, Cowboy Jay didn’t show up, so we can’t criticize him except for on whatever strange outfits he wore to his concert that day.

4. Steve says:

You know, that picture of Sodagreen has kind of a Wizard of Oz feel to it. Stay with me, here: Jiakai as the Tin Man, Xinyi as Dorothy, Qingfeng as the Scarecrow …. a motley crew standing together on a bright orange stage …..

5. Merry says:

So… would that make Karen Mok the Wicked Witch of the West?

6. Mich says:

Oh you gave me such a laugh with that picture of Dad…

Why is the girl in Sodagreen the only one who does not look like she dressed in the dark?

(from Regensburg, DE)

7. hobielover says:

Hmm…maybe it’s because she didn’t go overboard, and just dressed simple.

Whew, I missed A-Mei’s tent! When they said “unflattering,” they really meant it! I guess the music wasn’t the only thing lacking taste and originality at this year’s GMA. That dress looks so much like maternity wear! I make a point never to wear something that will make me look pregnant. It’s still not as bad as Jolin’s though, in my opinion. That dress was wrong in too many ways to describe!

8. Louella says:

YouTube is world’s leading video sharing web site, no one can defeat it. Every one upload videos at YouTube after that take embed code and post anywhere.

9. The locksmiths want in the direction of focus within at bare minimum one particular distinctive Room of operation. Commonly, there are Four this kind of locations: residential, business, industrial and automotive.

10. I would like to voice my affection for your kindness in support of men who should have help on this important idea. Your very own dedication to getting the solution all through became exceptionally advantageous and have truly encouraged guys and women just like me to reach their endeavors. Your entire important facts signifies much a person like me and much more to my mates. Many thanks; from everyone of us.

11. Sun Heilbrun says:

First impressions matter, which is why we try to keep the pools we care for leak-proof and in great condition. swimming pool leak detection